Friday, June 22, 2007

It’s a typical afternoon at the orphanage. Things are quiet, mostly because its hot and people are just waking up from their siestas. Three boys are sitting outside the door of the office putting a puzzle together, which they do with me most afternoons. We sit outside and put puzzles together, read books (either Blanche-Neige, the French version of Snow White or a book written in French about an African boy and his village, Kirikou), play card games or other games. Right now, Elisee, an eight year old has put a Blaise Compare (the Burkinabe president) transparent green visor on my head. He looks at me laughs and tells me it looks good. I don’t believe him. He’s waiting for me to write this so we can open a new game that I told him yesterday we could do today.
Since I last wrote its rained four times! But only one of those rains was a good rain. It was Tuesday morning and we were expecting guests. As it turned out we ended up having a bunch of guests! A couple from Ouaga had been to the States and met Nichole’s great aunt, so they came to visit unexpectedly. They know the pastor of our local church so he came, and we signed up to have a Peace Corp volunteer and a prospective volunteer and her supervisor all came to visit at the same time. While it was POURING rain. ALL morning. It was so difficult to hear what anyone was saying. But it was fun to have so many visitors none the less. Since that rain the weather has cooled down considerably. Instead of being 94 degrees in the house at night with no electricity (I forget to say that we spend 48 hours last weekend without electricity and a few days after with it on and off and on and off…some major power lines were downed in a storm north of here) its now about 82 at night which feels wonderful with the fan on. We’ve been getting some really nice breezes too…oh it feels so good. I’m sure most of you think I’m crazy because that’s still hot. And I know its hot, but after what we’ve been through it feels sooooooooo good. Its nice to be able to not wake up from a nap or from the night sweating. Who knows how long it will last, so I’m enjoying it while I can.
This week has been a crazy week. On Monday we had a young mother (19…with her 40+ yr old husband) come to us with her malnourished twins. They are 15 mos and one weighs 9 lbs. and the other weighs 12 lbs. The mother was just not feeding her children. Out of ignornance…not out of any malicious intent. So Monday afternoon we took her to a pediatric clinic in Ouaghyia (I can’t ever spell it right) it’s a city about an hour northwest of here. Its run by a Christian man, who has the love of Jesus pouring out of his skin. What a special thing to see in a dr. here!!! Its so rare. Wednesday came and we had to make another trip to Ouaghyia because a woman brought her granddaughter to us with an oral bacterial infection, Noma. Noma is SERIOUS if its not treated right away. Its due to poor oral hygiene and basically eats away the flesh around the mouth quickly. The women said her granddaughter was two however we found out later she was three and looked as if she should have been 15 months!!!! Dr. Zala was angry because this child has been neglected and not well cared for. …I think we all felt alittle bit angry. Its hard not to when you see this kind of stuff. I often feel like yelling “TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” but seeing as that wouldn’t do anything and most of those who come to us only speak Moore, a language I don’t speak it probably wouldn’t do much good.
Yesterday, just about the time we were to leave for a day trip to Ouaga, the capital city, we found out that Therese a six year old with a severe heart condition had passed out and what seemed like a heart attack. Ruth was barely able to tell that she was alive. We rushed her to the clinic in Ouaghyia after the hospital here gave her an IV for malaria (im not a doctor…but OBVIOUSLY that’s not the problem. HELLO!!!!!!) Anyway she’s on her way home today so we think shes ok now BUT if she is not healed or if she does not get a humanitarian visa to the States ASAP then its only a matter of time before she dies. PRAY FOR A MIRACLE!!!
Today a friend of mine, a worker here at the orphanage, and the most amazing guy ever, Valentine agreed to tutor me in French! Yeah!!! I’ve been getting along fine but I need to learn more. It will be fun working with him because we are friends and he is sooo sooo sooo kind.
If anyone is wondering whether or not the African continent has taken away any of my personal… uhhh….quirks, such as my clumsiness I just want to let you know that this is not true. I frequently trip and drip things on myself, or pour water all over a table, or numerous other things that I’ve been known to do at home.
Elisee, the boy I mentioned before is going “home” in a month. We found an aunt of his in a village…so hes going to stay with her for the summer. (summer doesn’t start here until July. School doesn’t start again until October) Im SAD. I love this kid. We’ve been having a lot of fun lately. He’s decided that its fun to tickle me. And the thing is it ACTUALLY tickles. Its bizarre.
Well, I’ve written a lot but I feel as if I’ve barely scratched the surface. I LOVE AFRICA. I LOVE THESE KIDS.
I haven’t been able to get my computer working yet…something about the modem. So when I am able to use my computer I should be able to write more consistently…..
Pray for rain, pray for grace to learn French, thank Jesus the grace he’s already given….
Love you all!!!!!!!
PS today is my half birthday!

7 comments:

mrg said...

YEAH! !Happy half-birthday Meems!!

We all love you and are praying diligently for you. We know that all the grace you receive is from Jesus' kindness and we ask him to continue to be kind to you! :)

But I too am sad Elisee is leaving. He will be back for school though, right? I would sure miss him if he weren't there when we got there.

Give my love to all! A big hug to Elisee, and Timothy, and Adi, and.....
Love you,
pops

Stewart Family said...

happy 1/2 birthday! i'm so glad we got to celebrate before we both left. i want to call you but i don't have your phone number--i have the card but no number. i called your mom today to get the number so i'll call you as soon as i get it. love you, ami!

Anonymous said...

That's funny; I thought my family was the only one that celebrated half-birthdays! (Wouldn't the Burkinabe laugh about that one!!)

Tell Valentine I was just about to write him to see how he, Monique and Wend Panga are doing. I miss those guys! And you, too. Although I am glad you are there, the way you write makes me feel there also. ;)
hugs and prayers,
Aunt Connie

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie! Thanks for the update. While I do wish you a 1/2 birthday, I was really writing to let you know that Marje has been honoring your memory the past couple of days - she's walked into the wall a couple of times and did a great nose-dive/tumble while chasing the ball (not that you've ever chased a ball) :-)
We went to Jenni P.'s wedding yesterday with Dan and Audrey. We had a little fun with the clouds and making shapes out of them. After we picked our car up at their house and were on our way home, I guess I was still in "cloud-gazing" mode because I saw one that looked like Africa ---and my eyes swelled with tears. I miss you so very, very much, but I keep looking at my beautiful tatoo and I feel close to you. It's not quite the same as a hug, but it's better than nothing!
I llllll-ooooooo-vvvvvveeeeee you!
Momsadora

Elizabeth Ealey said...

Hi Ami! It sounds like you are doing amazingly well here! I love it too!!! How weird is it that we're both in Africa... I still can hardly believe it!!!

Burkina sounds so great... I hope I get to come up in December!!!

Love ya,
Elizabeth

lilbrem said...

Ami,
I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you and praying for you. I love reading about everthing that's going on. It makes me tear up every time and I dont know why! I love you and miss you tons!!!
P.S. So glad we got to do lunch before you left!
ALL MY LOVE,
Kay

Anonymous said...

Amers,

Okay, I often call Aunt Judy on her 1/2 birthday and wish her a happy half. I guess it's in the blood! Do you think they sell belated 1/2 birthday cards? I'd get one for you =)

I'm missin' you girlfriend and think of you and pray for you often--I still haven't takin' off the bracelet I put on to remind me to pray for you. Often you are the first person I think of when I wake up because of the bracelet and, well, of course for other reasons than just the bracelete.

I love you Meemers...Taunt D