Thursday, June 14, 2007

The First Few Days

Well, since I’ve been here a few days I thought it was time to update everyone! Today is my second full day in Yako and it feels like I’ve been here much longer. I’ve spent my time getting reacquainted with everyone which has been a lot of fun. Yesterday Adi and I spent all afternoon playing games. Sometimes another kid would join us, but it is mostly just us. This morning has been quiet because all the big kids (which includes Adi, even though she’s eight. You are a “big kid’ at the orphanage when you go to school) are still in school. They took their end of the year exams a MONTH ago but for whatever reason school is still in session and we aren’t very clear when it actually gets out…becasue nothing is ever very clear in Africa.
I spent the first night I was here getting all unpacked and stuff which was weird. But I am happy with the way my room turned out. I have lots of pictures that I love hanging on the wall, and I have some yellow, pink, and purple fake flowers I brought from home…It makes the room very homey to me. I will post pictures the next time I am in Ouaga where we can get wireless internet that is much faster and cheaper than the dial up service we get here in yako.
Nichole’s brother John is visiting for the next two weeks. Because he is here we might get to go on a trip to Bobo!!! (a city about five hours south west of us) If we get to go we will see crocodiles, hippos, waterfalls, and maybe maybe maybe elephants (but it could be out of our way) I can’t wait to see wildlife! Because there is NON in yako. Just pigs, goats, chickens, donkeys and weird looking cows. Oh and sheep. Nothing exciting like a crocodile. Or a HIPPO! That would be oh so fun.
THE RAINS CAME YESTERDAY!!! Hopefully it will continue. We have had two good rains a couple of weeks ago and then yesterday it rained. It was so fun!!! We could see the storm coming. The sky got dark and then wind starting blowing which brought a dust storm, so I ran inside to close up all the windows. It started thundering which was lots of fun to hear. The odler boys started playin soccer, and continued to play thorugh the rain. It looked like lots of fun, but I stayed inside because I didn’t’ want to get dust in my eyes…you know, my scratched cornea and all. But it rained long and LOUD, well loud when you have a tin roof anway! I watched out the window and saw rain drops fall to the ground and disappear because it is so dry. After the torrential downpour I came back outside and the ground was DRY. Like it hadn’t rained at all. That’s how dry it is here. The boys are in our field today planting so hopefully the ground is soft enough to get the seeds in and then hopefully the rains continue…otherwise I’m going to be privy to some very sad stuff come next year when everyone runs out of food.
Pray that the rains come!!! And pray that we (the white people) are given the grace to deal with what comes with the rain….BUGS and frogs. Gross. But its all worth it to be with these kids. They are great.
Well, I’ve been typing along time and there are others who need the computer. Ill write more later…

5 comments:

Stewart Family said...

hello ami! i'm praying for you. love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Ami, thanks for the description. I felt like I could see it all. I liked the rain on the tin roof, the soccer game through the downpour, and especially the raindrops that disappeared in the dust. "if they can get the seeds in" was also quite a statement. How important water is.

Keep writing. I want to be there with you. Clay

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you are in our old bedroom! Everything you write, I feel like I'm back there again. Tell the kids and the ladies I send my love! Aunt Connie

Deb Schaefer said...

Ames,

Reading your blogs makes me miss you and being there. Please tell Isabelle and the teen girls "hi" for me (and Nicole and Ruth).

I can't tell you how many times a day God reminds me to remind Him about you and the needs there.

Have fun in Bobo.

Taunte, Deb

Anonymous said...

hey ami !!!! mr.g just gave me this blog site name. it is so great to be able to read what you are doing over in Africa. you are in my prayers. love ya !!!!
~amanda
p.s. i hope you get to see an elephant !!! :)