Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ambassador, Adi, and Monkeys

I was in Ouagadougou this past weekend and on our way home we saw
monkeys!!! wild monkeys running across the road. From afar it looked
like weird dogs running across the road but as we got closer we realized
that the "dogs" were actually monkeys. I'm not sure how many we actually
saw because the first few we thought were dogs but there were at least
three or four that we counted after we realized they were monkeys. its
the first actually "wild life" that I’ve seen here. We see an occasional
camel, but they aren't wild, they are ridden by touregs who travel
around and sell things.

On a sadder note, Adeline is going to be leaving the orphanage soon. She
has an aunt who is able to willing to care for her in Yako (why she
hasn't been living with this aunt up until now I'm not sure) and so in
the next few weeks she will be moving out. It's a sad and good thing.
She deserves to grow up in a family, in her family but its hard not
knowing these people and not knowing if they will really love her or not
or see how amazing she is. Because she will still be in Yako I will
still get to see her sometimes which is good...but still sad. And lots
of mixed emotions.

Tomorrow the United States ambassador to Burkina is coming. She is
coming mostly to see the school, but she will stop by and visit us at
the orphanage too. everyone is excited and has spent most of the day
cleaning up. They've done an amazing job. I’ve never seen the courtyard
or the rooms look so good.

Good news about Jeannette. I know I stopped writing about her, mostly
because her situation kept getting more and more complicated and it was
too much to write. But Social Action has decided that her mother is the
one who should decide where she lives. This is an amazing un heard of
decision. Women are never given that right here. So Jeannette and her
mom have been reunited and its a beautiful thing to see. Also, her
broken leg is healed. i was a little skeptical at first because it
doesn't really look right...but a couple of doctors (one of whom is the
best orthopedic surgeon in Burkina and is from Australia) have said that
it's fine. So I'm trusting them.

1 comment:

Stewart Family said...

i read this from a puritan prayer book. it's beautiful and the cry of our hearts! You are a living testament of Christ, Ami. I love and miss you! The grace and peace of Jesus be with you!
I wish not so much to do as to be, and I long to be like Jesus; if Thou dost make me right I shall be right; Lord, I belong to Thee, make me worthy of Thyself.