Wednesday, August 1, 2007

AIDS

Well, I know that I mostly tell funny stories, because those are the fun ones to share, but I need to share these stories and they are not fun. In all my trips to Burkina I haven't had much exposure to AIDS until recently. Jeanette, my baby girl, is not getting better. She's not getting worse, but she's not getting fatter. so we took her to get an AIDS test on Monday. It was one of the most difficult things I have ever ever had to do. She has something wrong with her foot (you can't see anything) but she screams bloody murder when you touch it. So Jean, our day guard, was with me and he was holding her down, and holding her foot, because he had to and she was screaming and screaming and crying real tears. And when the woman tried to get her blood she had to try four times. It was awful to watch her get poked so much...and the woman would like dig around in her vein looking for the blood..oh it was awful and it made me want to vomit. I told Jean that when we got outside and he looked alittle scared like I might throw up on him...I didn't. But he did drive quickly home. Since I have become so attached to this little one, the thought of her having AIDS is devasting to me. I don't really think she does (We were supposed to find out today but didn't. Welcome to Africa) but if in fact she does have AIDS it will break my heart. Her family situation is not good and her having AIDS will complicate that alot. They don't have the means to take care of her, we aren't really sure they WANT to take care of her (given the fact that she is so malnourished) so if she has AIDS it will be a shame to the family and an extra burden because then they'll have to get her on medicines and they don't have money anyway. and if this is the case i'm sure that we will help out in some way...but its hard to know that we won't know how long she will live and that she won't ever get better and she will always be vulnerable to disease. it makes me want to keep her in the house with me where i can sleep with her and keep an eye on her at all times. So if you think about it...pray for jeanette and maybe for me too
The second story is that of a little girl who was being "taken care of" by her grandmother. i say "taking care of" because this woman did not know the child's name or the child's age. She was severely malnourished, was sick all the time and had Noma (a bacterial infection that is common here. it comes from bad oral hygiene and it eats away the flesh around the mouth. It's easy to stop if you get the right medicines, but once your flesh has been eaten it can't be regrown). we took her to the Dr. Zala and amazing amazing amazing man. He is a christian and has a heart for children and for quality medical care that is a rare find in burkina. He trust him with alot of our children and he never dissapoints. (well, unless he cna't do anything, but then thats not his fault) He became furious with the grandmother because this child was so sick, and then they did a blood test and found out she had AIDS (she was three...i forgot the mention that. the grandmother said she was two). She died this week. its so sad. this girls parents are out roaming around (not taking care of their child) and one or both of them has AIDS. So now Social Action (burkina's DFS) has to track them down and test them. and educate them on the disease. its really heart breaking. its heartbreaking that having AIDS still has a social stigma attached to it so people don't want to get tested. and if they suspec that they do have AIDS they don't want to know because they don't have to money to by the medicines and they're going to die anyway so why know how you are going to die?? its a sad sad sad thing.
On a more positive note, i was able to talk with my family on skype tonight! i got to see their faces as well as hear their voices and it was amazing. sometimes its just really really really wonderful to be able to talk with people who you know love you. adn seeing their faces was an extra bonus. So if you ever want to see my face you can get on skype and when i'm in ouaga and have access to wireless interenet that isn't soooooo expensive like it is in yako, maybe we could chat! it would be fun.
thank you to all of you who read my stories. It means alot that so many are interested in my adventures. I appreciate and crave all of your prayers. As much as I love it here, it's not an easy/comfortable place to be.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ami,

Scott Boyd here. I just found your site and will be a regular reader. It is hard to see suffering and process that with what we think about God. But I think that when we know the truth, like when we get to heaven, we will see that what happens up there will be so wonderful and so eternal, that our lives here will seem to be no more than a vapor. It's in that moment that we will understand the goodness of God.

I'm praying for you and am proud of you. It is so good to see you following after God. You are a brave soul! Stand firm in the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ who on the cross made every provision for every weakness we discover in our flesh. It is in our weakness that we find God to be so strong and glorified.

Take Care
Scott

Anonymous said...

Read your blog and am crying. How I wish I could be there. It does inspire me even more to raise monies for all of you there...to use as you see necessary.

I would love to skype with you sometime. I miss you very much. Aunt Debz

Anonymous said...

oh ami...i just love you. i hope your little girl doesn't have aids and that she will become more nourished (if that makes any sense). i'm praying for her. i CAN'T wait to talk to you... = ) i'm so excited. i miss you bunches and love you lots.
molls

Anonymous said...

Ami, It takes real strength to be in the midst of all that pain, suffering and discomfort, and not only keep your faith, but spread it. I pray that you keep your light, and that those children in these desperate situations can follow your light.
Angels keep you.
Megan Galaske

Alison Evans said...

Ami,

Reading your last entry makes me wish I could bring all the children here to live me me. I think you are amazing and it sounds like your kids are amazing. I hope everything works out for your little one. Miss you!

Alison

Jon Moe said...

Aimes!!

I had no idea you were blogging until last week. I just read your entry and I want to know how to send you e-mail/mail et cetera. My e-mail is moe.jonathan@gmail.com. And if you hadn't guessed this is jon moe. I think about you a lot and I just want you to know that I'll be praying for you. I so admire you and pray that you'll continue to be bold and courageous and lean on our sweet, sweet Jesus. Blessings!!

cf.mac1 said...

Ami - mike a here. finally getting myself settled and have your blog in my bookmarks. i believe you are walking out a calling that will shape and mold you for eternity. keep blogging or at least journaling as much as you can. this is the process of the Lord to draw you into your own place of weakness and find only His strength remaining for you. Sweet surrender might be a good descriptor. i love you girl and will continue to pray. let me know if you need anything. -mikea