Friday, July 20, 2007

My Boys

Well, since I wrote alittle about "my girl" in the last entry, I thought it might be appropriate to talk alittle bit about "my boys" because well, they make my day. every day.
I am in Ouaga for the night. We are picking up a visitor named Sarah from the airport. Nichole and I spent part of the day at a pool (we got sun!) which is just one of the perks of being Ouaga. (The other perk is all the good food!!!) But anyway, back to my boys...while we were swimming we thought about how histarical it would be to bring them to the pool and after I share my story about what happened last night, hopefully you will understand why. (but it may be a story that's not funny unless you know the people...so if you don't think its funny. just trust me. These boys are comedians) Every night Nichole and I pray with our school agers. Adilene, Achielle, Abraham, and Aristede. One of us prays with Adi in the girls room while the other prays with the boys in their room. Last night was my night in the boys room. Earlier this week we had a movie night during which we watched karate kid. ever since you can see kids around the courtyard talking about and pretending to do karate. Its pretty funny. And last night, Aristede was practicing his karate. He told me he was going to pray for himself (he always does) and that was it. (he later added he was going to pray for his parents in america (which he doesn't have) or in france (also which he doesn't have). Abraham and Acheille took their turns saying what they were going to pray for (we have this conversation and then we all pray in our native language moore and english(obviously)) and the entire time Aristede was laying on his mat practicing his karate. These three boys are like the three amigos/stooges...something. They are always together. Always laughing and play fighting. And last night they were correcting one another's french. mid way through his karate chop aristede rolls over and says to achielle "you can't say that!!!!!! that doesn't even make sense?!!!!what does that even mean??!!" And then they all start laughing, because well, none of them speak very good french. he conitnued karate chopping and when we were finally ready to pray, achielle started and aristede sat up and karata chopped his OWN leg. HARD. I have no idea why he did it, but he started laughing and then I started laughing and then the other two boys started laughing. We were all laughing so hard that we couldn't breathe. we managed to get through the rest of our prayers (aristede was praying out loud through mine...im not sure why. he stopped when i hit him on the arm...but a few seconds later he started up again.) but then aristede began laughing again. for no apparent reason. he was laughing so hard he was crying!!! showing emotion is so rare here that when i see these boys laughing with one another so much and making me laugh so much it brings so much joy to my soul!! to see him laugh so hard he was crying was amazing to see..even though im still not sure why he was laughing so hard. so to see the three of them in the pool would be histarical. i wish you all could meet them. they are my favorite!!!
i also have another boy. he's three. his names is eric. he lights up when he sees me...and he loves to kiss me. its pretty fun to cuddle with him, its all he wants to do.
and those are my boys.

2 comments:

mrg said...

Wow Meem, what a night! I can SO see those boys...that had to be awesome! And in the pool...oh my...that could be amazing! I am trying to call you now...but you are not answering. You must be praying with your boys again and having a grand time! LOVE YOU!!!!
pops

Anonymous said...

Ami! It's Jesy. My dad forwarded me this sight so I could see all the amazing things you've been up to. I just wanted to say how proud I am of you. I always knew you would do great things with your life and in others. I remember you always wanted to be a teacher. You have such a nuturing spirit. I'm sure those boys love you so much more then words can express. They sound so funny. I laughed outloud reading this blog. I can just picture this scene. I wish the best for you. You are in my prayers. Love, Jesy